LOCATED IN CLINTON, MD 20735
Performs respiratory care related procedures and responsibilities s in within the scope of the respiratory policies and procedures, under general supervision and medical direction upon the order of a physician. Accepts and transcribes verbal and telephone orders from physician on respiratory therapy procedures. Recognitionof and attention to the psychosocial needs of residents and their families. Utilizes knowledge to insure the care provided meets the unique physical and psychosocial needs are met based on the resident’s age. Scope of practice is adult and geriatric residents
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following tasks and assignments:
1) Initiates, monitors, manages, troubleshoots, maintains and weaning residents from mechanical ventilators.
2) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, resuscitator bag ventilation and chest compressions
3) Obtain Blood Gas Samples
4) Chestphysiotherapy, including therapeutic percussion, vibration and bronchopulmoanry drainage
5) Pulmonary Function Testing
6) Oxygen (Medical gas), Aerosol and Humidification administration
7) Manages artificial airway, tracheostomy care, changes, weaning and suctioning of airway and sputum induction.
8) Aerosolized medication administration, hand held nebulizer and metered dose inhaler
9) Incentive spirometry, breathing and coughing exercises
10) Procurement, handling, storage and dispensing of medical gases
11) Setups and maintains all types of oxygen and respiratory supplies and equipment
12) Checks physicians orders
13) Documents ventilator settings and measurements and performance of respiratory procedures, response to therapy including heart rate, respiratory rate, breath sounds
14) Performs initial assessments, care plan and assessment of residents respiratory status, resident’s progress, including the recognition and recording of signs and symptoms of respiratory distress and medication effects and side effects or adverse reactions and notifying a physician and resident’s nurse
15) Education and inservice training to residents, families, nursing and other nursing home staff.
16) Reviews data obtained and documented by other respiratory therapists.
17) Discusses abnormal or unusual assessment findings with Supervisor as needed.
18) Documents, according to policy, discharge instructions and/or nursing transfer summary.
19) Checks proper operation of equipment before and during use as well as emergency equipment as assigned and report malfunctioning equipment to the Supervisor and Maintenance.
20) Evaluates and documents according to policy resident responses to implemented respiratory care.
21) Communication/Leadership: Participates as an effective member of the resident care team contributing to the efficient operation of the unit, demonstrating effective interpersonal communication with all personnel, residents and families as part of the facility’s commitment to quality resident care.
22) Professional Development: Seeks opportunities for own growth and expansion of responsibilities to maintain competency and assure the use of up-to-date methods in care giving.
23) Administrative- Sets and implements goals and policies consistent with the philosophy and purpose of the facility.